Monday, February 09, 2009

In the Last Single Digit Year of This Millennium

I decided to do something I've never done before.

Mountain-climb. How did this happen?

A friend called up last night to ask if I'd like to go climbing today. Well, I've never tried rock-climbing, even in a gym. But I figured, I'd like to try this, before I reach 30.

So I did. Although I got more than I bargained for.

When we got to Melawati, and he showed me the mountain range.. I was stunned: That's what we're gonna be climbing?! I quite nearly chickened out... except for the fact that I reminded myself I'd really like to try that at least once. Get out of my comfort zone and try something new.

2009... the last single digit year of this millennium... would be the Year of Yes. Personally for me.

There were sooooooooooo many people today. My friend was really annoyed enough to say: Maybe we should go to the waterfalls instead. But we trudged on anyway. It did affect our climb, we had to stop many times cos I didn't want to get in the way of other more experienced climbers.

It was a challenge... and initially I went quite slowly, my arms and legs felt unsteady, never having done this before, and not having first warmed up much. But the thing about Bukit Tabor is... once you start climbing... you have to continue all the way before you get down. Going back was more difficult than moving forward. So onwards I went... and after stopping for the longest time at the second peak due to the number of people going back and forth there (so much so that I told my friend: We could have a canteen here....) and finally crossing it, I started to feel better.

My main concern was slipping and falling, though... and to be honest I was quite scared to see the increasingly heightened distance between myself and the ground as I trudged upwards. My shoes were an old pair, and what I was worried about was the amount of gravel. Gravel caused the ground to be 'slippery'. I was careful to test the ground before I found a proper foothold so as not to slip and fall to certain death below.

It didn't help my nervousness that every now and then there were notices stuck here and there with regards to accidents occurring, especially with the 'abseilling' route that we had decided to take. Apparently a college girl of 23 had fallen down 100m - 150m below into the ravine because her hand had slipped off the rope. I managed my first abseilling, however, thanks to my friend, and some kind strangers who gave me some pointers on how to glide and move my way slowly down.

It got rockier as I went further up, but the rocks were large, and the spaces between footholds were further and further apart. By the time I got to the 3rd peak, I was quite exhausted and relying on isotonic drinks to keep me going. Another group were there, and they had a few women in the group, quite frightened (and rightfully so) of climbing downwards and sideways before moving on to the next peak. They kindly let my friend and I move on first, so as 'we can help you assess as you get down'.

I was like.. ARGHHHHHH when I found out that there were FIVE peaks to conquer... apparently J didn't tell me that and I only found out when I asked: Are we near yet? And one of the guys in the group answered: There are 2 more to go, you're at number 3. Me: Errrrkkkkkk........

So I started climbing downwards... and one of the men of the group said: 'Hug the rock, hug the rock' and so I replied 'Sure, yeah, the rock's my boyfriend, right?' They were terribly amused by my comment. Me, I hugged the rock for dear life. The rock WAS my boyfriend at that moment, as I tried to find a foothold as I moved slowly down. Looking back now, it WAS a funny thing to say. I suppose in the face of extreme danger and pressure, I find comfort in humour.

We crossed the 3rd peak and moved on to the 4th... This was the one that frightened me most. There was no way I could go back now, but the rocks were smooth with few footholds. I took a deep breath. Move on, honey. And climbed. J waited for me and watched as I made my way up. Holding on to a huge rock, I was wondering how to get up there, I'd have to utilise upper body strength to push at least half my body up the rock to clear this one climb.... and possible death lay below me if I failed and fell off. So I said a prayer, and hauled myself up with all my strength. And cleared. I looked at J and he looked at me: You ok? Me: Tired, I hope we're near, cos I'm getting really tired. I was running out of juice....

We moved forward, and right before us was a huge rock with red paint on it: Jesus (heart) U... I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the sight, and said to J: Amen! Amen to that! And why not? Just 2 mins ago I was hanging off a cliff-drop... I said to J: When life is hanging by a cliff (literally here!), there is no way else to go but up! Brings new perspective to things, doesn't it?

The rest of the climb was a little easier. It was less gravelly, more level. Reaching the top.... the 5th and final peak.... felt like a HUGE achievement. I was proud of myself, and so was my friend :) What did I say when I reached the peak? I've been a really good girl today :P and then I faced KL and said a little prayer. When I see the wondrousness of God spread before you like a moving, living painting, I couldn't help but feel like such a tiny speck in the larger scheme of things. And yet I have my place, just as the circling swallows before me. Breathtaking. How Great Thou Art :) The Master Painter, The Master Sculptor. In Him, All things are Perfect. And Beautiful.

It was quite an adrenaline rush, really. When I hit level ground, I felt like I was tipsy, close to drunk. I felt light-headed, woozy. My whole upper body was flushed red. My upper body was swollen, even. My arms and hands definitely were. Took some time for the 'swelling' to go down. I had the sensation of flying. It was probably better than sex, even. I guess I know now why some people bungee jump, eh?

Yes, I got me a few nice cuts and bruises, and I rushed down after that cos I was hungry and wanted to weewee. :P And I'm not sure I can walk tomorrow. HAHAHA.

Some pictures here on my crazy adventure today. Taken from TheTrekkers.blogspot.com.


What I climbed today.


The first abseilling. Where the college kid had fallen down.


The entire route I took.

No comments: