Saturday, October 07, 2006

more shit...

more shit...

Those who know me well knows my ironic fascination and distaste with politics. I hold politicians in disdain, I think it to be a necessary evil, in a way. I remember what someone told me in childhood with regards to a profession: "Choose a professional job, dear. But there are a few jobs I would advise you to not go into. Do not be a politician. Do not be a lawyer. Do not be an accountant. If you lack morals and ethics, these jobs could leave you empty at the end of your life." :P

Yeap. I do not hold politics in great regard. Though there was a time I contemplated law. Especially when I was offered full scholaship after SPM to read law in England. Too bad I had to give that up because the Asian Economic Crisis hit us, and hit us bad then. And my parents were already putting one sibling through private college. To put another through British pounds would have probably killed our finances and left us in debt.

I have no regrets about choosing to go through Form 6. I might have, once when I allowed myself to wallow for awhile in self-pity, to deny that I had gone through that bout would be to lie, but I think having gone through that has taught some form of maturity, at least. And it has taught me to not take my good fortune for granted. I believe our destiny, to a certain extent, is what we make of it. Opportunity might knock only once, but we make our choices, and we must learn to live with it, and make the best of it.

I can't go back to when I was a young, innocent, naive, wide-eyed girl with the dream to change the world. What's the point in lying around and wishing things were different, and my family were richer, and lamenting that I should have taken the scholarship, for I would have been a high-flying corporate/ criminal/ etc. lawyer by now? Representing clients worth millions of dollars and making millions as a result? Charging clients thousands of ringgit in billable hours? Walking around in Ally McBeal-ish power suits and slinky Aldo pumps? Wishful thinking. Not gonna happen. And things happen for a reason. Who's to say I'd still be slaving my lard ass off working for some kucimiao firm and getting frustrated by the day? We never really know, do we?

What was that long rant and reminiscence for? Because I was wondering how different it would have been for me if I were a member of the nation's favoured group of people. Because I was reading our 'fave' former PM's essay entitled "The New Malay Dilemma" and snorting in laughter at how astute it was, and yet how pointless. And noticing how true the opening line was, that: "The Malays are among the few people whose race is legally defined. Thus, the Malaysian constitution states that a Malay is one who habitually speaks Malay, professes the religion of Islam and practises Malay customs. There is nothing said about the definitive culture of the Malays. It follows that changes in culture do not make a Malay person a non-Malay." How ostensibly ironic.

Right... this reminded me of a conversation I was having with a girlfriend of mine and her boyfriend. We were on our way to Puchong and we saw a building with a strange hybrid type of moose-reindeer deco on the top of the building and she commented that it wasn't Christmas yet. To which her boyfriend replied that 'Oh, maybe the *****s are trying to hijack Christian culture as they have hijacked Chinese culture." What ensued after that was a discussion of how the *****s have copied the Chinese when it comes to Mandarin oranges, they have it now too!! And cultures like giving angpaos, now they have green money packets too!! Etc. etc. How strange that they seem to find validation in the copying and absorption/ assimilation of other cultures to define their own. But that is less important than what the former PM has to say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks to me like dida has the makings of a successful corporate figure AND mother of 10 AND still find the time to publish a book about it daily AND doing it without losing sleep... no sweat.

Makes me wonder if she really only has 24hrs in a day like the rest of us do...

nemesis-on-fire said...

WHO SAYS I WANT 10 KIDS????? I'm gonna get SO FAT that way! 10 x 9 months... 90 months.... *gag*

Anonymous said...

DIDA!!! UR POST SO LONG MY SMALL BRAIN KENOT DIGESSSTT! can break down into small portions can???

Anonymous said...

wholly sheet...this is like trying to read an encyclopedia

Anonymous said...

fucking hell, it's still bloody long!!!!