Saturday, March 31, 2007

Nostalgia and a Former Student

Nostalgia and a Former Student

Saturday, 31.03.2007. 0130hours.

A former student of mine is gonna go to Columbia to do some goodness-knows-what engineering or other (sorry, Manda, it's just totally beyond my biological ken) and I just found out today when she told me to go read her blog =) Well.... Congrats, Manda! Very well done.

I'm old. SOOOOOOOooooooo OLD. When I taught her, I was a fresh-faced 20 year old just out of Form 6. They thought I looked 16. They knew my friends, or acquaintances from my batch. So-and-so's brother. So-and-so's sister.

Now she's entering uni. And I'm old. Now I know why I don't want to be a teacher. You're reminded annually of how old you are.

I would never have thought I'd be where I am, would've seen what I have, would've gone through the things I've gone through. Would've held on so long. Or lost so much. Would've been here now. Right here. Right now. Would've been so blessed. Would've been so hurt.

I could never imagine.

I've grown so much, so quickly. I am no longer the fresh-faced Ms. *****. Could never go back to that.

How things have changed. And yet how they've stayed the same.

Was it worth it? The steep, painful, pivotal learning curve since 2001? I hope so. Dare I think so? YES.

2 years from now, I'd be making this very selfsame assessment of how I am now.

Everything happens for a reason. It has to.

I have to stop mourning, and start living. Relapses are common, but the effort to overcome it shouldn't be futile.

Life is after all, precious. And time is so short. And unlike Agent 007, I only have one shot at it =). Life is unfair, too, but so's a lot of the best things in life.

p/s: Love ya, Manda! Congrats! Your Form 1 BM teacher who loves men with great bods is awfully proud of you! Hugs!!

p/p/s: No angpaos for you and 1A1 2001 (if you bring the truckload of kiddos) when you visit unless you find me an able-bodied Yankee hunk to marry :P and have dark-haired blue-eyed cherubs with. No blonds, thank you. :D Cikgu tak minat budaya kuning... Hehe....

3 comments:

bananatan04 said...

thanks...ms bm teacher...;p I'll find a yankee for you. Maybe Californian?? Nahh....It'll be a hotshot financier from New York..;p. BTW, you are old and i am young..muahahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

dude, we are old. we're a quarter of a century.

DAAAAMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

but ur right about the sophistication thing :) as we get older. tho some young ones have had it all their lives!

nemesis-on-fire said...

manda: laid-back californian, hotshot filthy rich NY financier, i dun mind, just so long as they adore me ;)

oh stop it about the youth thing!! :P

yerdeh: i'm always right. hehehe... but yeah, i can feel my energy levels going down down down!!