Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy

Tuesday, 09.01.2007. 0058 hours.

There's a reason why I love Grey's Anatomy so much.

It's because I could identify with the characters.

It's a relief to realise that you aren't the only one to make idiotic mistakes and that smart-aleck surgical interns (real or imagined) could be human too. It isn't a pleasure but it's heartening to know that you aren't alone.

I empathise with Meredith Grey.

I know how it feels like to constantly be in someone's shadow. I know how it's like to feel you have potential but never seem to be able to grasp and reach it.

I also know how it feels like to be vulnerable and aloof and actually quite shy. And to always, always feel stuck.

And to try to salvage whatever you have left but seem to fail at it. To try to replace what you've lost with something mediocre and end up disappointed.

And I know how it feels to always seem to fall for the one person who's all wrong for you and end up in an emotional mausoleum.

I know how it's like to make reckless, foolish mistakes and have those mistakes constantly haunt and hound you. And having to pay for it, over and over again.

I know how it's like to be weak, to try to go but always end up staying.

And to cry when you finally learn to sever the ties that bind.

It feels like a little bit of me had died inside....

Loss of innocence. What could be more painful?

Then there's Geoge O'Malley. Who hasn't been George?

To yearn for something you cannot have. To fall for someone who doesn't see you. To worship from a far, far distance. To be so near, and yet so far away.

To be the invisible (wo)man.

And then, to settle for what is (you thought) second best.

And then to realise what you got when it is too late. And, to realise, too late, that what you had was exactly what you needed and wanted.

Christina Yang.

I know what it feels like to be her, too. To have to constantly fight for a dream.

To have parents that try to run your life. To feel that perceived oppression. To have to constantly prove yourself, time and time again.

To always guard your emotions, afraid to let the dam burst. To fight for what's rightfully yours.

To prove your worth, over and over, to someone who doesn't want to acknowledge it.

Ambitious, career-driven, proud.

To train yourself to be unfeeling and cold.

To be continually frightened to lose one's edge.

The higher the climb, the greater the fall. And oh! How painful to fall from such great heights. And the price you pay for it. I know what that means too.

Just as I know what it means to be stuck between East and West, Heaven and Earth. To want to believe, and yet to also spurn it.

Being stuck. How I hate the feeling.

Yes, I love Grey's Anatomy.

I see so many facets of myself revealed in them.

I can feel for their struggles. Their fears. Their successes. Their hope. Their despair. Their euphoria. Their sorrow.

Though, of course, I don't look half that good.

No one bloody looks as good as Isobel Stevens in a surgical ward after a 12 hour surgery. CHUH! :P

No comments: